Join the campaign
Advocate to ratify ILO C-189 convention
Legal protection and recognition of domestic workers of legal working age:
– ratification of the ILO Convention 189 on decent work for domestic workers by all 5 countries.
– recognition of domestic work as a full-fledged profession
– employed under proper contracts guaranteeing decent working conditions (salary, days off & holidays, social security rights).
Protection of child domestic workers
– Improve existing regulations, policies and referral mechanisms so that they explicitly define and target child domestic work as a form of child labour to be eliminated.
– Provide for the reintegration of child domestic workers under the minimum legal working age into a protective family environment and school.
Help achieve access to quality education and vocational training for all children and youth in the sub-region:
– domestic work activities for children under the minimum legal working age can’t be at the expense of their education.
– importance of training for domestic workers to get adequate and recognised qualifications, which will lead to both better social recognition and contractual conditions.
– domestic workers currently working can be trained while working, through programmes adapted to their needs and availability. In-job training also improves employment conditions.